Monday, January 20, 2014

A 28-year-old woman who was sexually abused as a child by her middle school basketball coach confronted her on the phone, releasing a video of the conversation in which she got the woman to admit what she did. Jamie Carrillo was 12 when Andrea Cardosa allegedly began molesting her and was taken out of town for overnight trips where abuse occurred. The statute of limitations has run out on the crimes, but Carrillo going public has resulted in Cardosa being fired by the Alhambra, Calif., school district, where she was an assistant principal. The district said in a statement, "Alhambra police department will be handing this matter over to the jurisdiction of the appropriate police department." Carrillo said, "Everything was stolen from me."

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rstybeach11

MORE STORIES

Comments

She attempted to file charges, but the statute of limitations had already passed. This was her only alternative.

It should be noted that the abuser resigned from her administrative position after a link to the video was sent to her principle.

The woman admits to the abuse on the phone. An absolutely chilling interaction. Hopefully this inspires others to out their abusers.

Kudos, Jamie Carrillo.

#1 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-01-20 02:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

Your analogy sucks.

She was molested for years, which sort of abuse has ruined many lives.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2014-01-20 03:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

She says she wanted "answers", but it seems she just wanted to confront and badger her.

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2014-01-20 05:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | POSTED BY BOAZ

She asked plenty of questions. The abuser said nothing but "I regret it."

Considering the crime she committed and admitted to, a few minutes of badgering should be the least that's comin' her way, IMO.

#5 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-01-20 05:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

This type of abuse is about domination, not sex. Every mammal does it, as far as I know. I have long observed aquarium fish doing the same thing. However, the way it plays out uniquely in humans is in the context of social and religious upbringing, complicating the victims life with guilt and other feelings such as revenge. Such victims often become perpetrators as they grow older and bigger. To break such a cycle, understanding, mental health treatment is required.

#6 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-01-20 06:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Every mammal does it, as far as I know.

What does that have to do with anything?

#8 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-01-20 07:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

Skepticism somehow makes me want to question the rationale for such events that are brought to light after many years, or more than half again the life of the accuser. It's possible, but I also believe the potential for abuse and manipulation and abusive payback for something else is possible too. Justice needs to be swift and not delayed for the benefit of both.

I once had an older daughter of friends of the family repeatedly fondle me as a male 3,4 or 5 years younger. Did she ruin me? Hxll no. Should I report her many decades later? This is mostly all BS.

#9 | Posted by Robson at 2014-01-20 08:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Context. I assume you are a man (internet anonymity and all).

A guy being fondled by a girl isn't the same as being a girl getting fondled by a girl. or to put it in context, it would be like you getting molested by an older man that was supposed to be your coach. (Sandusky anyone?)

that might ruin you.

And maybe, once you become empowered by others coming forward you would feel that courage to do so as well.

Either way, unless she hideous, I don't think most guys would refuse a fondle now and again.

#10 | Posted by clownshack at 2014-01-20 08:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

"This type of abuse is about domination, not sex." - NutCase

Sex is about domination. While love making might be something different.

"However, the way it plays out uniquely in humans is in the context of social and religious upbringing, complicating the victims life with guilt and other feelings such as revenge" - NutCase

Is there a causation there? Or is it just a belief of yours that is religious?

In high school I played on the basketball team. The coach was a 27yo knucklehead, needless to say he used his position to make me and other members on the team do some atrocious things. At the time I didn't know much better, but its become clear over the years it was sexual abuse and a breach of trust. No religion, no society, just an individual that had no boundaries, and young man with little self-respect.

"that might ruin you." - ClownShack

It doesn't ruin you, certainly the reason it occurred was two fold, on the abuser needed to get out some sexual/dominance needs, and the victim probably wasn't taught, nor did I, have much self-respect (speaking for myself in this case).

I have since called him, and made amends, its not the end of the world but it does make one less open to future relationships until a certain trust is gained.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-01-20 09:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sorry to hear about your experience.

#13 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-20 09:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

#12 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

I have the same sentiments as CLOWNSHACK in #13. I just hope your coach is not coaching anymore -- or in any sort of working relationship with youth. It needs to be recognized that the woman who admitted to abuse related to this thread is no longer in working contact with youth.

That's a good thing and it took the courage of this young woman for it to happen.

#14 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-01-20 09:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

#12,

Variations in personalities, upbringing and beliefs defy one solution for all victims. There is just as great a risk of a victim becoming the next perpetrator as to never escape blaming themselves and living in isolated depression.

#15 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-01-20 09:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I once had an older daughter of friends of the family repeatedly fondle me as a male 3,4 or 5 years younger. Did she ruin me? Hxll no. Should I report her many decades later?"

You apply a different standard to clerics than yourself?
Yes. Report her.

#17 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-21 01:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

Hope this young woman does not end up getting sued for illegally recording this confession and broadcasting it on YouTube. Without knowing the victim has set herself up to be a victim once more.

#18 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-01-21 11:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

Without knowing the victim has set herself up to be a victim once more.
#18 | POSTED BY PROLIX247

There's a law against this? Since when?

#19 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-01-21 01:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

Should I report her many decades later?

If you have reason to fear she's doing it to another child today, yes you should report it.

Just because you don't feel hurt by your abuse doesn't mean you should assume other people are as fortunate. Sexual abuse of children can cause psychological damage to that person for decades.

#20 | Posted by rcade at 2014-01-21 03:46 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#19 - in the state of California it is illegal to voice record another person without their knowledge or consent.

Yes this woman seeking revenge can be sued by the molester for posting an illegal recording. She should have let the issue go once she reported the act to the school.

Very sad indeed.

It was once said, "before leaving on a journey of revenge, it is wise to dig two graves first."

#21 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-01-21 04:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

If her abuser sues, her abuser will have to sit for a deposition under oath with the victim's attorneys. The victim would probably think that was worth the risk of prosecution over wiretapping.

#22 | Posted by rcade at 2014-01-21 05:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

Don't know RCADE, two kids, a lawsuit, possible criminal conviction does not sound like sweet revenge to me.

Poor girl took one step too many. In essence she dug two graves.

#23 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-01-21 07:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

Her actions take a sexual predator out of a position of authority at a school. I think she did the right thing by outing this woman, regardless of the personal risk.

I've never bought the idea that getting revenge is always going to hurt you.

#24 | Posted by rcade at 2014-01-21 07:30 PM | Reply | Flag: