Saturday, January 18, 2014

A man was arrested in Frisco, Texas, for holding a sign up along a road warning drivers that a speed trap was ahead. Ron Martin has been charged with a misdemeanor for violating the city's sign ordinance. His police arrest report states, "Martin was observed standing in the center median of the six-lane divided roadway ... holding a sign in his right hand up over his shoulders that read 'Police Ahead.'" He said he wasn't holding the sign to protest the speed trap. "I'm the same thing as a speed limit sign, just reminding people that there is a limit here," he said.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Anything for the revenue, including a misconstrued application of a "sign ordinance". Will he even get a trial? What would that cost him... no good deed going unpunished.

Headlight flashing is free speech that just might cost you a gunshot to the head.

#1 | Posted by Atlas at 2014-01-18 07:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

I sent the Frisco police an e-mail asking them if they plan to arrest me when I am in the city next week holding a sign warning of traffic stops. I'll post back if they answer.

#2 | Posted by e1g1 at 2014-01-18 07:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe not

#3 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-01-18 08:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Frisco (formerly home of the fighting 'Coons until PC fixed that, and home of my first grade teacher, Mrs. Elliot) will lose the fight. A similar case a couple of decades ago went to the USSC. A man was ticketed for flashing his lights warning oncoming drivers of a speed trap. The USSC ruled that it was no different than if he had vocally told the oncoming drivers, "Beware the speed trap" and was protected by the first amendment.

This one is a no brainer. Stupid Frisco cops.

BTW, why don't people use the flashing headlight anymore to warn drivers of speed traps? I always do. But it's been years since anyone warned me. Used to be everyone engaged in that practice. I wonder if people even know why I'm flashing my lights at them on the interstate.

#4 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-18 08:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

PEACEFUL political dissidents are truly representative of freedom because they figuratively step on the toes of those authorities which are representative of anti-freedom. Too bad he can't directly sue those who are charging him for doing no wrong.

#5 | Posted by Robson at 2014-01-18 08:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

The police state doesn't respond well when its authority is usurped.

PAY!!!

#6 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-01-18 08:32 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

The Frisco police do not like to investigate traffic accidents and will only come if someone is hurt. They also have the worst record for solving homicides in the nation.

#7 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-01-18 11:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

"...why don't people use the flashing headlight anymore to warn drivers of speed traps..."

Might be the advent of daytime running lights where a lot of vehicles have headlights on to some degree all the time?

That was standard practice in Canada for years before they were automatic. Every time I was in the US people were flashing their lights at me all the time to tell me I had mine on in daylight.

Just a guess.

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-01-18 11:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

"They also have the worst record for solving homicides in the nation."

Got some numbers to back that up?

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-01-18 11:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Got some numbers to back that up?

It's a good question. Frisco is a very affluent community just like my home town of Plano which borders it. I'd be very surprised that they couldn't buy the best law enforcement available considering the tax base there.

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-18 11:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Frisco has money, nutcase. Lots of it. I think you are mistaken about the murder thing. Where did you get that information?

Frisco demographics

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-18 11:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Frisco averages less than 1 murder a year. I guess if it didn't get solved that year, that's a very high (100%) unsolved rate. LOL Still, I'd like to know where you got your information, nutcase.

www.city-data.com

www.usa.com

#12 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-19 12:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

"...that's a very high (100%) unsolved rate."

Heck, it's ∞ compared to Bastrop.

#13 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-01-19 12:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

When I'm on the road I flash my brights or use hand signals (for truckers). No far, nobody has ever told me that I can't do that. It seems to me that the choice should be mine, although I can understand why it would annoy the police.

I always thought slowing down traffic was for accident prevention.

The police seem to think that tickets and fines do a better job. They're probably right. But still, I believe in giving a guy a break now and then, so ~~~ until somebody tells me different ~~~ I'll continue doing what I've always done.

I did get pulled over once for driving too slow ~ in a construction zone in a pouring down rain, during evening rush hour. I was doing the reduced speed limit but the cop told me I was going to cause an accident if I didn't go faster.

Go figure.

#14 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-01-19 01:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

It's been done before, and such prosecutions stick often.
He should have had a sign reading "They are taking your picture ahead" or "Warning: possible radar wave pollution" and it might get by the court.

#15 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-19 02:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

"When I'm on the road I flash my brights or use hand signals (for truckers). No far, nobody has ever told me that I can't do that"

Careful, Twin. The light flashing has been prosecuted, usually with a ticket, but they do. Stick with hand signals. I wonder, however, why they do not do the same for CB radio warnings, far more common.
Don't say I never did anything for you.

#16 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-19 03:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

Your reputation for impeccable logic is still unblemished.

#17 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-01-19 07:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

Goat the die down of headlight flashing might have something to do with the scare email about gang killings www.snopes.com.

It's false of course but people are gullible. Some times I flash my lights but it is rare. It's not that I don't want to help people out I just don't pay a ton of attention to speed traps.

#19 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-01-19 08:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

I have not found any such case. A pretty detailed Wiki article concludes it's a case by case state issue. Eugene Volokh, a well known first amendment advocate and law professor, says the USSC has never squarely confronted the issue. For anyone wanting to delve deeply into the issue, he links his 128 page law review titled "Crime Facilitating Speech." The introduction, as far as I went, is interesting. Flashing headlights is directly mentioned at footnote 40.

#20 | Posted by et_al at 2014-01-19 03:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

4 because many people don't seem to care for others??

Anyway, some GPS programs now allow you to report speed traps in real time, by s tap on your screen. Do they face same arrest warrants?

#21 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-01-19 05:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Doc, I did not mention abortion in this thread. Stop the abusive posts.

#22 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-20 02:34 AM | Reply | Flag:

Cop warning signs should be standard on the road. Maybe a picture of a stick figure with a gun pointed at him, a tazer zapping a child stick figure, or a female stick figure with a boot stomping her head.

WARNING