Friday, January 17, 2014

Corey Knowlton is on edge sitting inside a Las Vegas hotel room, surrounded by a private security detail, explaining why he spent $350,000 for the chance to hunt a black rhinoceros in the southern African nation of Namibia. "If I sound emotional, it's because I have people threatening my kids," Knowlton told CNN. "It's because I have people threatening to kill me right now [that] I'm having to talk to the FBI and have private security to keep my children from being skinned alive and shot at." Knowlton was outed over social media as the winner of the Dallas Safari Club's auction for a black rhino hunting permit from the Namibian government last weekend. It didn't take long for the threats and vitriol to start pouring in.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

gracieamazed

MORE STORIES

I hate sport hunting and fishing. The poor Rhino has no options to hire security to protect him.

Comments

The ohh so compassionate left. Willing to defend any life, as long as it isn't a human or fetus.

Why when someone doesn't agree with liberals they are always willing to resort to violence?

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2014-01-17 02:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

Trophy hunting is a barbaric pass-time. Trophy hunting of rare and endangered species is about as low as a human can go. Hope he gets stomped by the rhino.

#2 | Posted by morris at 2014-01-17 02:13 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2014-01-17 02:02 PM | Reply

Kinda like all those liberals threatening Wendy Davis for daring to run for Gov. of Texas? Oh, wait a minute...

#3 | Posted by morris at 2014-01-17 02:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 I agree. My family hunts and fishes for food. Trophy and canned hunting is disgusting.

#4 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-01-17 02:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

I don't agree with threatening him and I especially find threating his family to be completely disgusting.

But this guy is a total jergov as well.

#5 | Posted by Sully at 2014-01-17 02:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

I happened to catch the interview and what I found amazing was Morgan(D-Bag) wouldn't say it's wrong for the people to be threatening his two year old daughter and wife.

#6 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-01-17 02:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

Boaz GRACIEAMAZED is hardly part of the left.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2014-01-17 02:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Funny that he was looking forward to hunting an endangered animal but finds it uncomforting that people are now hunting his family.

Irony? Poetic justice?

#8 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-17 02:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Funny to read a warmongering government grunt express sympathy for human life.

You forgot to define human life as non Muslim, white conservative American Boaz.

You know, the only form of human life you care about.

And I could be worried about a fetus. Is the Rhino he's planning on shooting from the safety of his car pregnant? If it is then I would be very upset.

#1 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2014-01-17 02:02 PM | FLAG:

We've finally sunk to the level of our fellow conservatives. But can you blame us?

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-17 03:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

I am against trophy hunting and before I read the story I was appalled. But it's not as black and white as I thought. It seems he will be allowed to kill an old rhino past its reproductive years and that compete with the younger males anyhow. These older males will probably die by being mauled by a big cat.

I don't necessarily buy the claim he's helping the species, but it would seem he's not necessarily hurting it either if the rhino is incapable of reproducing and will die a worse death in the end.

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-17 03:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

Clownshack it's been my experience that unless you're starving hunters are expected not to hunt clearly young game animals.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2014-01-17 03:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | POSTED BY MORRIS AT 2014-01-17 02:13 PM | FLAG:

In this case it is neither rare, nor endangered. It's a cull animal on a preserve. It no longer breeds and presents a danger to the resurgent breeding population of rhinos on that preserve. It's going to be killed, and it's going to be eaten.

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-01-17 03:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

"But can you blame us?"
#9 | Posted by ClownShack

Of course not. It's Bush's fault.

#13 | Posted by KBM at 2014-01-17 03:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

A big cat killing the rhino will feed the cat, it's pride, scavengers, insects, the soil the rhino decomposes on...

To sound incredibly cheesy and cliché, it's the circle of life.

A hunter, being driven in, having scouts usher him to the rhino, getting a gun and killing the animal from a safe distance, only to then have it stuffed and mounted on a wall is appalling.

I can understand hunting and fishing to survive.

Hell, it's probably better if you can. Your not supporting big cattle corporation.

But I'm opposed to killing for fun. It's a mental sickness IMO.

#14 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-17 03:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

Add to number ten (Goatman, why, oh why are you injecting sense into an article about feelings? Lol) the fact that the "hunt" (I do not understand or approve of trophy hunting myself, and I am a hunter) was auctioned off by the Dallas Safari Club, who is donating proceeds to protecting endangered animals. While this single kill will effectively, as pointed out, be natural in terms of rhino population.

People need to start thinking with their whole heads, and not just their easily inflamed tear ducts.

#15 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-17 03:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's Bush's fault.
#13 | POSTED BY KBM AT 2014-01-17 03:20 PM | FLAG:

Well said KBM.

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

But it's a statement I can agree with you on.

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-17 03:24 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Be neutral, not natural. Sorry.

#17 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-17 03:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

#12 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

The ACCUSATION is more important than the TRUTH.

#18 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-01-17 03:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Don't have cat, do you Clown. They kill for fun, usually after toying with their victim for a while.

#19 | Posted by jdmeth at 2014-01-17 03:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

LoL!

It's old and no longer productive so we can just kill it?

What a great ad campaign for Logan's Run.

LoL! I think RCade would run short on posters with you all dead.

#20 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-17 03:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

#20 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK AT 2014-01-17 03:31 PM | FLAG:

No, Paul Ryan already came out with that plan, and it didn't really go over well ;) lol

#21 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-17 03:36 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"Dallas Safari Club Auctions Off Controversial Black Rhino Hunt, But Who Was The Real Winner?"

The big question is, who won the bid? A spokesman for the Dallas Safari Club declined to name the buyer. But a tweet from Tom Opre, a hunter who attended the event, identified the bidder as Corey Knowlton, a hunting "expert" and tour conductor who resides in Royse City, Texas....

[M]ore than one party has suggested, off the record, that Knowlton is not the true bidder, but instead made the purchase on behalf of a behind-the-scenes millionaire nutter who wants to stay out of the public eye.

Knowlton does appear on hunting TV shows, but Jim Shockey's The Professionals is not exactly big-time. His personal Facebook page shows him graduating from the "school of hard knocks."

In addition to having run a hunting company called Global Hunting Resources, his other business ventures have included septic and concrete companies. A native of Forney, Knowlton doesn't seem to have the kind of douchebag master-of-the-universe breeding -- or the bankroll -- that accompanies this kind of bid....
dallas.culturemap.com

#22 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-01-17 03:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

I was talking about wild cats, lions. But that aside.

I grew up with cats, parents currently have two. the neighborhood cat has been hanging out at my house lately cause we fed it once and now he's got us feeding him every night. My best friend's family had cats. Neighbors have cats...

I agree they hunt for fun. But in my experience everything I've seen them catch has been half/partially eaten. And the rest we always threw out in the backyard and insects, birds, other animals would have it devoured in a matter of days.

#23 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-17 03:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

LOL. I may have known this guy's father, Rick. He was from Forney and has son whose name I thought was Kerry, but it could be Corey. (I didn't know the son.) The Knowltons were poor folks, so the "school of hard knocks" sounds like him.

That's funny. Rick is dead now (stomach cancer in his 40s. Sad) but I'll bet this is his son mentioned your quote, doc.

#24 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-17 03:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Lol!

But did he explain how it was for the good of society?

:D

#25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-17 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

"It seems he will be allowed to kill an old rhino past its reproductive years and that compete with the younger males anyhow."

That makes it not as bad from a conservation standpoint.

But if the animal is already chosen, we're basically talking about a "hunt" where a ranger knows where the animal is going to be and leads the "hunter" directly to it. So much for sport.

#26 | Posted by Sully at 2014-01-17 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yes and no. From the way I read the story, the young ones are tagged. The old ones are not. Though the story doesn't say, I am assuming (since they mentioned tags) that the hunter will have a device allowing him to identify one of the ones allowed for killing.

But as I said, it's just what I thought because of their mention of tags in the story.

#27 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-17 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's utterly ridiculous to be pro CCW and then be anti trophy hunting. Hand guns are made for killing, ain't no good for nothing else, while the latter, costly and under strict control guidelines, provides crucial funding for African wildlife programs.

#28 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-01-17 04:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | Posted by boaz
"as long as it isn't a human or fetus."

It was certainly thoughtful of you to finally differentiate between the two.

#29 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-01-17 04:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I hate sport hunting and fishing".

I love both. Here in Pa we have school vacations after thanksgiving to permit deer hunting on opening day. And fishing is one of the top, if not top, hobbies in America.

Where does your protein come from ......a Supermarket? If so, you condone the worst kind of animal cruelty.

#30 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-01-17 05:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

#30 If you got off the I Hate Gracie Train long enough to READ my post #4 you would know your comment makes no sense. Sport hunting as in trophy or canned hunting is wrong. Be it a Rhino or Blue Marlin. Our son was taught you fish/hunt only what you will eat. That lesson hit home when he had to eat bar-b-q rat when he was six and he shot it with his BB gun. He got his first doe at nine and first Buck at ten. He also fishes Red Fish tournaments.

#31 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-01-17 06:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I say we start applying that practice to humans and off anyone above the age of 60. "

I would definitely vote against that.

#32 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-17 11:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

I would definitely vote against that.

#33 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-17 11:29 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

Hahaha!

You got me laughing out loud Danni.

especially the double post. though it may be incidental, it adds to the humor :)

#34 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-17 11:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg
"In this case it is neither rare, nor endangered."

Well, unless you've got 350 grand.

"It's going to be killed, and it's going to be eaten."

So...it is endangered. ;)

[/snark]

On a serious note, the black rhino is classified as "critically endangered" by the International Union for Conservation of Nature, but that's as a species (several subspecies are extinct).

By the way, the IUCN supports Knowlton in this.

Excerpt from IUCN letter:
"The current, well-justified international concern over the escalating and appalling level of wildlife crime can lead to some confusion with legitimate, well-managed sustainable use, including trophy hunting. Well-managed trophy hunting has little to do with poaching, and indeed can be a key tool to help combat it.

In Namibia, the benefits for rural communities from wildlife use have dramatically reduced levels of poaching over recent decades, and made communities powerful partners in detecting and combating wildlife crime.

Trophy hunting provides not just incentive but revenue for anti-poaching efforts: without it, communal conservancies and landholders would not be able to employ the upwards of 3000 field rangers employed to protect wildlife and enforce regulations on wildlife use, or establish the sophisticated surveillance and informer networks in place."

There are some unstable PETA-on-steroids types out there that haven't bothered to understand the whole story here.
And to make death threats for the purpose of self-congratulation is both hypocritical and pathetic.

#35 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-01-18 12:01 AM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by goatman
"I don't necessarily buy the claim he's helping the species..."

The idea is that an older, aggressive rhino (which is what Knowlton would kill) may kill younger, breeding rhinos.

By the way, it seems likely that this is the son of the guy you know.
How cool is that?

#36 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-01-18 12:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

By the way, it seems likely that this is the son of the guy you know.

Rick's been dead now for ten years, so I can't ask him, but I think it's his son. I completely missed the connection with the name in the story until Doc posted #22 and I saw the town of Forney mentioned. That's when I put 2 and 2 together. It would be interesting to know his age. If he's mid thirties, that would almost certainly be him I think.

#37 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-18 12:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

**** Corey Knowlton wanted a Unique,Personal and Exciting Experience...and now he's sure got it!

#38 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-01-18 12:20 AM | Reply | Flag:

#37 | Posted by goatman
"If he's mid thirties, that would almost certainly be him I think."

Yep, article says he's 35.

#39 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-01-18 12:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

I googled Corey for images. He doesn't look like Rick, but that doesn't mean anything. I have a feeling he's Rick's son. Interesting google, though. He's posing with a lot of dead big game

#40 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-18 12:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

If the rhino is killing other younger males, the game wardens will kill him anyway to help save those younger males who can breed. Why not make 350K off it? PETA types are so stupid.

#41 | Posted by boaz at 2014-01-18 09:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

Let him pay his large sum of money. Let it help the species. Let him kill the rhino. Let all friends all come over to his place to see it. Let them know the conditions surrounding his "hunt" so they can laugh at him and call him a big phony. It's target practice, not hunting. He may as well be shooting at a rusted out 1974 Camero. It would take about as much skill to hit it.

#42 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2014-01-18 12:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yes, Johnny, it is more akin to shopping than hunting, but that's not the point.

#43 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-01-18 12:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Seems odd that noone is haranging the AH-fricans for issuing the permit..
No permit = no hunt.

#44 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2014-01-18 03:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

So...it is endangered. ;)
[/snark]

#35 | POSTED BY THETOM AT 2014-01-18 12:01 AM | FLAG:

Touche! Though it is a fair chase hunt. That guy paid $350k and could never actually see the rhino he's looking for. That's the gamble on hunting. A guide is not a guarantee. That particular rhino is hiding among hundreds of others on 1700 square miles. Only high fence ranches give you the guaranteed, canned hunt and this is not one of those.

On preserves they hire ex-poachers as the guides since they're the experts on tracking rhinos. If those guys weren't on the preserves payroll there would be no rhinos left in Namibia.

What's most unfortunate about the preserve hunting is the .. lets call it the corruption tax. Part of that $350k.. and the rhino meat if it's a success... makes it back to the community. However chunks of that cash are siphoned off by corrupt government officials as fast as they can get their hands on it.

#45 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-01-18 03:18 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Good points, Sitzkrieg.

#46 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-01-19 12:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Wow - some humans will justify their behavior by any means necessary, even if it means the total eradication of an entire species for no good reason whatsoever.

Knowlton is a complete and total waste of existence. If his children are able to understand what is happening, they would probably side on the part of those wanting to protect the last remaining Rhinoceros from their own father.

#47 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-01-19 02:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

"some humans will justify their behavior by any means necessary, even if it means the total eradication of an entire species for no good reason whatsoever."

Some humans would, yes, but that's not what's happening here.

#48 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-01-19 03:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

If people do not want the Rhino killed then why did they not bid for the license and then just not use it?

Put you money where your mouth is...

#49 | Posted by sawdust at 2014-01-19 03:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

Some humans would, yes, but that's not what's happening here.
#48 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-01-19 03:12 PM

Really? Than why the vehemence to his proposed killing with death threats? Perhaps this justification is PLAIN AND OBVIOUS.

#50 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-01-19 04:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

Perhaps this justification is PLAIN AND OBVIOUS.

Yes it is obvious. To remove a threat to the breading population by eliminating non breeding stock.

#51 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-01-19 04:14 PM | Reply | Flag: