Thursday, January 16, 2014

The fast track trade bill introduced in the Senate last week will go nowhere anytime soon, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Tuesday. Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.), chair of the Senate Finance Committee, offered the legislation last week, surprising many of his colleagues. Baucus' bill, which would reauthorize 2002's Trade Promotional Authority, would essentially give the White House the power to present Congress with trade agreements that lawmakers could not amend. The fast track bill would ease the way for the controversial Trans-Pacific Partnership, a 12-nation trade deal that opponents contend would undermine labor, environmental and other protections.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

danni

MORE STORIES

Comments

Great news! Now it is more important than ever to call you Congressmen and Senators and demand that they help kill this bill permanently. Fast track is unAmerican, it is designed to defeat the will of the people by allowing a bill, like TPP, to be slipped through Congress without any debate and the TPP has been drawn up in secret. Members of Congress aren't even allowed to know what is in it and those who are privvy to it are forbidden to talk about it. We need to fight this treaty and any others of its kind that corporatists try to ram through our Congress. President Obama needs to finally stand up to them and declare his opposition to these treaties because that is partially why we elected him, his silence speaks loudly of sell out and I, for one, can't and won't try to cover for him on this.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-15 12:23 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

#2 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-01-15 12:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Did Harry give a reason? Or are they just putting it off for political cover?

#3 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-01-15 01:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

"That is Harry Reid's MO on just about anything brought to the Senate floor these days."

He just stopped a bill to allow passage of TPP without debate, thanks is in order even from Republicans. Harry REid did us all a huge favor.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-15 08:00 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

The whole TPP thing will likely die by it own complexity.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-01-15 09:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

The whole TPP thing will likely die by it own complexity.

Are you kidding? DC thrives on complication. If something would die for that reason, we would not be debating obamacare.

#6 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-15 09:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Most likely it will end up being a number of smaller, less ambitious trade agreements that amount to the same thing."

That's why we need to be vigilant and activist. The TPP was considered a done deal not long ago but it is on the rocks now. I know they could still revive it but it seems less likely every single day. I know I have been calling my Congressman and Senators, everyone should be. We can fight against these awful corporate benefitting treaties but they are relentless so we need to be the same. If you haven't called your Senators and your Congressmen then get busy, do it, it's important. They don't listen to a single voice but they certainly do listen to thousands of voices. BE one of those thousands, at least don't be complicit by being complacent.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-15 09:39 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-01-15 09:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Awesome news even if it was from Harry Reid.

Regardless of the TPP Fast Track for Trade deals is dangerous and I am glad to see it stalled. Although I do see there are rules on money manipulation and agricultural trade in there. I couldn't find the language though so not sure what that was about I would have liked to have known more but not if it is dead anyway.

#9 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-01-15 09:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Sorry. I don't call my reps or senators because I'm quite sure they don't give a rat's ass what I think anyway."

YOu would be surprised, but it's easier not to bother. Relax, let others do the heavy lifting. How long would it take you, five minutes? I am as cynical as you but I still "waste" the time, at least I know I've tried. If millions of us do the same they will hear us. Millions starts with each individual.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-15 10:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I couldn't find the language though so not sure what that was about I would have liked to have known more but not if it is dead anyway."

It is not dead. It is a snake that will raise its head again soon. We have to stay vigilant or this snake will take our jobs, our life style, etc. Billionaires want this, they have unlimited amounts of money to bribe our Congress, only by staying eternally vigilant can we defeat then but it will NEVER end. We have to be eternally vigilant with the emphasis on ETERNALLY.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-15 10:03 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Redial,

Honestly the best thing I have seen in the past decade in government was what happened with Syria. The people overwhelmed the representatives and we did not bomb them. It could happen again.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-01-15 10:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Millions starts with each individual.

You are absolutely right, danni. Also, writing your congressman amplifies your voice. I heard that only one in 25 people bother to let their congressman know how they feel. The statistician who works for the congressman knows that and assumes that for every letter received on a subject, 25 others feel the same way. So a letter carries a lot of weight

Personally, I think the ratio is higher, but the point is, a letter is taken a lot more seriously than one voice at a campaign handshaking event.

#13 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-15 10:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

NB on 13

That said, don't do it anymore, danni! LOL

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-15 10:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

"YOu would be surprised..."

They might listen if they wanted my vote but here it is 100% certain who is going to win the next election, and probably the one after that as well.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-01-15 10:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Aside from that, trade agreements benefit me, so I'm not that concerned about it."

You're living in the same country I am, eventually even folks who think they are benefiting will feel the pain from these agreements unless they are part of the 1% who are profiteering while their country is being seriously harmed. I don't consider them patriotic Americans.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-15 10:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

When you boil it down to the basics Goatman, we don't really disagree all that much about stuff. We both love our country and we can both see what is happening to it. We may have different solutions but even that is getting closer and closer.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-15 10:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

I've always thought that danni, not just of you but most of the posters here. There are a couple of extremists on both sides I don't include, but for the most party I believe you are correct.

#18 | Posted by goatman at 2014-01-15 10:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

"We may have different solutions but even that is getting closer and closer."

LOL .....until we approach Election Day. Then he goes back to being a scumbag.

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2014-01-15 10:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

"You're living in the same country I am..."

Actually, I'm not.

#20 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-01-15 10:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

"LOL .....until we approach Election Day. Then he goes back to being a scumbag."

For my part I intend to resist that emotional response. I do believe Goatman loves this country as much as I do and I will do my best to respect that even when we are coming down to the election. YOu can criticize me as much as you want if I don't.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-15 10:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

But I, on the other hand, hate this country, supported all Bush wars and want to send working America into poverty, right, Danni?

#22 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-16 04:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

Oh! almost forgot. I also want us to return to "Ozzie and Harriet 1950's". That's your view, right?

#23 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-16 04:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

Fast Track is about 1% of this issue, but I commend Reid for stopping it regardless of his reasons.

I'll note that he hasn't said anything about the TPP being dead in the water. My guess is that the only amendments made to that turd will be to protect cronies, not to protect average Americans.

#24 | Posted by JOE at 2014-01-16 07:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

"My guess is that the only amendments made to that turd will be to protect cronies, not to protect average Americans."

Realize TPP is a treaty between many nations, we can't make amendments because all of the nations involved have to approve the exact same treaty. We just need to do everything possible to kill this treaty. I've called my Senators and Congressmen have you? If not, why not? Their phones should be ringing off the hook.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-16 07:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

You have no clue what you're talking about. Agreements like NAFTA were and are approved as congressional-executive agreements and are voted on and amended by both sides of Congress just like any other bill. The Bipartisan Trade Promotion Authority Act of 2002, which took away Congress' right to amend and simply gave them an up or down vote on trade agreements, has expired.

#26 | Posted by JOE at 2014-01-16 09:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

" The Bipartisan Trade Promotion Authority Act of 2002, which took away Congress' right to amend and simply gave them an up or down vote on trade agreements, has expired."

Max Baucus' bill would reauthorize 2002's Trade Promotional Authority, that's what this thead is about. And you're wrong, it does prevent any amendments to the trade agreement.

"To pass the TPP, Obama is seeking Fast Track Trade Promotion Authority from Congress, which would give the president the ability to negotiate and sign the agreement before it is presented to Congress for a limited debate and an up-or-down vote without amendments. Fast Track, which has been used to pass other undesirable trade deals like the WTO and NAFTA, would prohibit a transparent and democratic process. Without Fast Track, it would be more difficult to pass the TPP."

www.drudge.com

How could many nations agree on a trade agreement if our Congress could amend the agreement after it is already presented to other nations for approval. We all would have to agree on the same exact treaty just like the Senate and the House have to agree on the exact same version of a bill for it to become law.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-16 09:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

"How could many nations agree on a trade agreement if our Congress could amend the agreement after it is already presented to other nations for approval."

Exactly. No country would sign anything that would end up with another defund the ACA provision stuck to it.

#28 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-01-16 10:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

Sounds like you agree with the Fast Track bill, Danni.

I don't.

#29 | Posted by JOE at 2014-01-16 10:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

Congress seems intent on delegating their authority to the Executive whenever possible.

A branch of government that doesn't want to govern.

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-01-16 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Fast Track Trade Bill Going Nowhere

They don't give up that easily. It's just going to cost a little more. When a bill meets resistance, they take it back to add more goodies it.

#31 | Posted by Ray at 2014-01-16 04:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Joe, presents how agreements get done, its a multibranch approach. Danni is showing technically what happens once the treaty is set, congress must vote up and down. No amendments.

Its a negotiation thing really, its about compromise. But this FastTrack gives the Executive branch some assurance crap won't be piled onto the treaty at the end of the process, thus negating all the work that was put into it with other countries.

I see nothing wrong with FastTrack per say, my guess would be TPP would be voted down if Obama didn't seek enough congressional input.

What is the fear of an up or down vote on TPP? Afraid it won't go your way? How does having that vote subvert the democratic process?

#32 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-01-16 04:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Work put into it by who? The Executive branch?

What Congress is doing with FastTrack (and with the AUMFs) is abrogating their responsibility to be one of the checks and balances in our system of government. I'm not even sure how it's legal for them to do that, but good luck finding standing in American court that some international treaty negotiation has harmed you.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-01-16 07:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Work put into it by who? The Executive branch?"

Isn't that generally who is supposed to negotiate treaties?

#34 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-01-17 09:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

"What is the fear of an up or down vote on TPP?"

It allows the pile of crap to be passed too quickly and with little public attention focused on it. Most Americans don't know anything at all about any of this, if you say TPP to them they will think you are talking about toilet paper.

#35 | Posted by danni at 2014-01-17 10:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

TPP is the largest step yet in creating a global economy, devoid of the human rights, environmental protections and sustainable economic development with the interests of Corporations above all other interests, including the sovereignty of nations and their people. TPP is free trade on steroids which throws our founding principles in the trash can. The impact of free trade on our prosperity should be obvious to every working person at this point. It is a win-lose deal, a win for Capitalists and loss for the workers that make Capitalism happen.

#36 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-01-17 10:22 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Nothing more than the petty nobles arguing for their piece of the pie. Whether it goes through or not, the fascisti will get what it wants. The sheeple are too ignorant/narcotized/just plain stupid to do anything real about it.

#37 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-01-17 11:23 AM | Reply | Flag: